Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is the process of applying scientific-based interventions through one-on-one therapy in order to reduce inappropriate behavior and increase communication, learning, and socially appropriate behavior alternatives. ABA therapy is endorsed by the United States Surgeon General for individuals with autism and other developmental delays.
Some Effective Teaching Techniques:
- Positive reinforcement: a stimulus is added and the behavior increases. Example: The client gets a sticker after completing the activity.
- Errorless teaching: reduce student errors through teaching methods that ensure high levels of correct responding- decreasing the amount of allowed incorrect responses
- Intersperse easy and hard tasks
- Use a quick and natural pace
- Mix and vary tasks
- Correct and quick responding